The struggle is real.
A new UN report has found at least 90% of men and women hold some sort of bias against females. The “Gender Social Norms” index analyzed biases in areas such as politics and education in 75 countries. There are no countries in the world with gender equality, the study found.
Pedro Conceição, head of UNDP’s Human Development Report Office said: “We have come a long way in recent decades to ensure that women have the same access to life’s basic needs as men. But gender gaps are still all too obvious in other areas, particularly those that challenge power relations and are most influential in actually achieving true equality. Today. the fight about gender equality is a story of bias and prejudices.”
- Globally, close to 50% of men said they had more right to a job than women. Almost a third of respondents thought it was acceptable for men to hit their partners.
- Zimbabwe had the highest amount of bias with only 0.27% of people reporting no gender bias at all. At the other end of the scale was Andorra where 72% of people reported no bias.
- In Zimbabwe, 96% of people expressed a bias against women’s physical integrity – a measure covering support for violence against women and opposition to reproductive rights. In the Philippines, 91% of people held views that were detrimental to women’s physical integrity.
- According to the report, about half of the world’s men and women feel that men make better political leaders.
- In China, 55% of people thought men were better suited to be political leaders.
- Around 39% of people in the US, which is yet to have a female president, thought men made better leaders. Globally, 40% of people thought men made better business executives. In the UK, 25% of people thought men should have more right to a job than women and said men made better business executives than women did. In India, that figure was 69%.
Share of seats in parliament held by women
|East Asia & Pacific||20.3|
|Europe & Central Asia||21.2|
|Latin America & the Caribbean||31|
I’m trying something new, Podcasting! It’s not especially high quality yet, but I’ll get there! I think my work has value. But I also think expecting people to wade through some of it is like asking them to lake dive for quarters on the bottom.
Conservative vs Progressive: Cultural Homeostasis
Tension Force: Cohesion from Opposition
It Isn’t About Logic
THE NARCISSIST’S PRAYER:
That didn’t happen.
And if it did, it wasn’t that bad.
And if it was, that’s not a big deal.
And if it is, that’s not my fault.
And if it was, I didn’t mean it.
And if I did… You deserved it.
Marcus Tullius Cicero writing 2000 years ago on our hollowed-out foundations in the age of Trump.
- Laws are silent in time of war.
- The enemy is within the gates; it is with our own luxury, our own folly, our own criminality that we have to contend.
- Orators are most vehement when their cause is weak.
- When you have no basis for an argument, abuse the plaintiff.
- Nothing is more unreliable than the populace, nothing more obscure than human intentions, nothing more deceptive than the whole electoral system.
- It might be pardonable to refuse to defend some men, but to defend them negligently is nothing short of criminal.
- The false is nothing but an imitation of the true.
- The sinews of war are infinite money.
- It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and to forget his own.
- The higher we are placed, the more humbly we should walk.
- A liar is not believed even though he tells the truth.
And their vision of our future
The soft brutality of crappy algorithms, and how this model delivers blunt reflections of prejudice.
Corporations don’t want our opinions with the nuances and compassion still attached. They capture a causally harsh picture of us and that picture is reflected in the development of the only tools we have to communicate with each other…which reinforces its impact on society.
- Virtually all internet hubs traffic in this lowest-common-denominator model, embracing and broadcasting our worst and weakest traits as norms. How do we fight this?
- Whatever systems we have for societal healing and repair (do we have any?) are drowned in a flood of unanticipated impacts.
- How will these results affect the assumptions built into business and social planning?
- How will those plans reinforce our tacit assumptions about each other?
Emil Protalinski, writing for VentureBeat: At the Movethedial Global Summit in Toronto yesterday, I listened intently to a talk titled “No polite fictions: What AI reveals about humanity.” Kathryn Hume, Borealis AI’s director of product, listed a bunch of AI and algorithmic failures — we’ve seen plenty of that. But it was how Hume described algorithms that really stood out to me. “Algorithms are like convex mirrors that refract human biases, but do it in a pretty blunt way,” Hume said. “They don’t permit polite fictions like those that we often sustain our society with.” I really like this analogy. It’s probably the best one I’ve heard so far, because it doesn’t end there. Later in her talk, Hume took it further, after discussing an algorithm biased against black people used to predict future criminals in the U.S.
“These systems don’t permit polite fictions,” Hume said. “They’re actually a mirror that can enable us to directly observe what might be wrong in society so that we can fix it. But we need to be careful, because if we don’t design these systems well, all that they’re going to do is encode what’s in the data and potentially amplify the prejudices that exist in society today.” If an algorithm is designed poorly or — as almost anyone in AI will tell you nowadays — if your data is inherently biased, the result will be too. Chances are you’ve heard this so often it’s been hammered into your brain.
Trump and his wholly compromised attorney general and secretary of state have been seeking international help in discrediting our intelligence services, the Mueller report, etc. This behavior is all about relieving economic sanctions on Russia. Our government is parasitized by an enemy power for their benefit.
Moscow Mitch knows this, of course, and WE know that his goal is for Republicans to retain power. He has an end game he’s been anticipating for months. At a certain point in the multiplying scandals, Donald Trump becomes the thing on fire inside the Republican “car” and Mitch must either boot him or burn too. The timing is essential, neither too near nor too far from the Prez.race. There will also be a slowly dawning “shocked and saddened” atmosphere generated in the Senate on the downbeat. As support for Trump hollows and thins, there will be a critical point of collapse. Republican strategy is always about loyalty and following orders. When Trump authority vanishes Republicans will follow orders from the highest surviving level of Republican authority…
Without Trump as a candidate, most Republican voters will “eat what they’re given”. Perhaps it will be a surviving Pence but I suspect he’s filthy with complicity and won’t escape. A guy like Mitt Romney actually COULD get elected in the resulting chaos and he would look like a knight in armor coming to rescue the party. Nikki Haley apparently beats all the dem candidates in a current survey (not confirmed by me). The only real difference in governing would be coherent international policies and ending self-destructive tariff nonsense. This is how the Republicans can win so it is what they will do.
Democrats need to stop imagining only best-case scenarios for themselves when picturing the 2020 election. We aren’t going to get them.
– William Stafford
A piccolo played, then a drum.
Feet began to come – a part of the music. Here comes a horse,
clippety clop, away.
My mother said, “Don’t run –
the army is after someone
other than us. If you stay
you’ll learn our enemy.”
Then he came, the speaker. He stood
in the square. He told us who
to hate. I watched my mother’s face,
its quiet. “That’s him,” she said.
in European countries per 100.000 inhabitants (2016). (Phone users the info-graphic is at the bottom, in case it’s hard to see on your phone, the male numbers are to the left and females on the right.) I knew male suicide rates were higher but I had no idea the difference was this stark. The male suicide rate is at least double and often triple the female rate. In Russia, it’s 6X higher! We live in an absurd time where every opinion that could POSSIBLY have a political ax to grind is assumed to have one.
I want to turn that assumption around and ask questions:
- Why do I feel vaguely self-conscious and a need to clarify my motives when posting this? Is showing concern specifically for men seen as rejecting concerns about women? Has discussion of male-female issues grown to resemble the charged atmosphere surrounding discussion of Israel? I refer to the fear of being called anti-semitic that comes with any criticism of Israeli policy or show of concern for Palestinians. If so, how have relations between the sexes sunk low enough to mirror the most vicious and entrenched argument in the world?
- In general, why isn’t the cause of this situation (male suicide numbers) a bigger, more pressing public health question? If the numbers were reversed do you think would there be a higher level of concern and more discussion about what is happening to girls and women?
But outside of politics or any kind of moralizing, just pondering the composition of the human race, I think one of the most revealing questions we could ask to understand our species is simply:
Why is this so?
(with inspiration from the brilliant Robert Anton Wilson)
Add the next term to the series:
- Ride horseback
- Fly by jet
A certain job can be performed either by a human or a machine. We should
- Employ the human because “the devil makes work for idle hands.”
- Employ the human because otherwise he or she might be bored
- Employ the human because there is no way to organize society except by having most people work for wages
- Employ the machine because technology has no function other than to free people from toil.
Add the next term to the series:
- Hunt and gather
There is a magic machine with two buttons, each of which will create equality among humans. You will push
- The button that makes everybody equally poor
- The button that makes everybody equally rich
Working for wages
- Has always existed and always will exist
- Is ordained by God
- Did not appear on large scale until the Enclosure Acts drove the serfs off the land in the past 300 years
- Will become obsolete in the next 100 years
- Will become obsolete in the next 10 years
The best way to search for Higher Intelligence is to
- Find the right religion
- Support the search for radio signals from advanced civilizations in the galaxy;
- Investigate UFO’s
- Research our own nervous system
- Build a starship and go looking.
Add the next term to the series:
- Black Pride
- Women’s Liberation
- Gay Pride